LASIK Step By Step
Orange County LASIK Surgery Step By Step
Preoperative Evaluation - LASIK Screening
Before the operation, it is important to determine if you are a good LASIK candidate. At the Orange County LASIK Institute we will do comprehensive testing to determine if LASIK may benefit you. We routinely turn down patients who are not good candidates in Orange County, Newport Beach, Irvine, Huntington Beach, and surrounding areas. It is our responsibility to answer your questions and ensure that you are informed about your LASIK procedure.
Your Pre-Operative LASIK Examination and Free Consultation Day
Your Orange County LASIK Surgery consultation is designed to allow you to have as much time as you need to have all of your concerns addressed and questions answered. You should feel very little pain or discomfort during this FREE LASIK evaluation at our Orange County office.
- Dr. Huynh, your Orange County LASIK Institute optometrist, will meet with you and perform many careful tests, evaluate your vision requirements and discuss with you your reasons for getting LASIK Surgery.
- Your vision will be checked with and without your glasses and contact lenses.
- We will do a physical examination of your eyes including an examination of your cornea, your extraocular movements, your pupils, your tear production and tear film, your intraocular pressure, and perform a retinal examination.
- We will perform advanced testing of your eyes which includes a refraction (prescription) that measures your levels of nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism to see if you are a good Orange County LASIK candidate.
- We will do advanced imaging of your eyes called corneal topography to screen for any corneal disease.
- We will also check the thickness of your cornea.
- We will screen your eyes for any ocular disease and also review your medical history to see if there are any contraindications to surgery.
- We will then inform you whether you are an all LASER iLASIK candidate, PRK candidate or if it is recommended that you continue wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- We want all of your questions and concerns to be answered so there will be extra time allotted during this consultation to answer your LASIK surgery questions.
- After your LASIK evaluation, you will meet with one of our LASIK coordinators to answer any scheduling or financing questions that you may have.
- Dr. Pham likes to triple check your LASIK surgery measurements before your Orange County LASIK operation. You can have your second check on the same day of your initial consultation or schedule it another day. During your second check/consultation, your eyes will be dilated as well. Dr. Pham then repeats all of your measurements again the day of surgery.
Your LASIK Surgery Day at the Orange County Eye, Cataract, and LASIK Center - Finally!
It is normal to be a little excited or anxious the day of your LASIK Surgery at the Orange County LASIK Institute. Dr. Pham and his staff at the Orange County Eye and LASIK Institute will walk you through every step of your LASIK procedure.
- Your preoperative measurements including your Custom LASIK wavescan, your topography, and your refraction will be all checked again for the third time.
- Dr. Pham will answer every question that you or your family members may have.
- You will be given a XANAX 0.5mg tablet to help you to relax and relieve any normal anxiety.
- Your eyes will be prepped and draped in sterile ophthalmic fashion before your Orange County LASIK surgery.
- You will be laying flat for your LASIK in Orange County. Numbing drops will be placed onto your eye.
- The first step of the LASIK procedure will be the creation of the corneal flap with the Intralase iFS LASER. The process of making the flap will be approximately 10-12 seconds. During this time, you will feel pressure.
- After the LASIK flap has been made, Dr. Pham will lift your flap.
- You will see a blinking light to help you fixate. The second LASIK laser, the VISX S4 will then deliver the cold laser energy needed to remodel your cornea. The duration of this time will depend on the amount of your farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism. The laser treatment time typically ranges form 10 to 50 seconds.
- Your corneal flap will then be repositioned.
- Antibiotic and steroid eye drops will then be applied to your eye.
- Eye shields will be placed onto your eye after your LASIK procedure is complete.
- Your vision will be a little hazy after the LASIK procedure in Irvine and you may have mild discomfort. Please go home and sleep. Within a few hours, your vision will clear up and your discomfort will likely resolve!
Your Care after your Orange County LASIK Surgery
- On the first day after your LASIK Surgery, you should be able to drive yourself in for your post operative examination.
- You will be given instructions on how to use your medications to help the healing process.
- It is ok to start showering the day after LASIK surgery at the Orange County LASIK Institute. It is also ok to return to your normal activities. Dr. Pham and the Orange County LASIK Institute recommend that you avoid strenuous physical activity for the first five to seven days after LASIK Surgery.
- It is recommended that you wait two weeks before swimming in the ocean or a swimming pool.
- You can wear non eye related make up starting the day after your LASIK surgery. For eye makeup, your LASIK surgeon recommends that you wait five days.
- Your follow-up examinations after LASIK are one day, one week, one month, three months, six months, and one year after your LASIK surgery at the Orange County Eye Care, Cataract, and LASIK center. Your LASIK related follow-ups are completely free.
Orange County Eye Care, Cataract, and LASIK Center
The Orange County LASIK Institute
3500 Barranca Parkway Suite 150
Irvine , CA 92618
Phone: (949) 450 - 2020
© All content written and copyrighted by the Orange County Eye, Cataract, and LASIK Center